Tuesday, September 13, 2005

KEWAUNEE

Saturday night i got the DL about the revised course. I've ridden Winter park before so despite everyone's preride horror stories i was pretty pumped to race there. Had a front row call-up but burried myself safely in the upper midpack on the leadout. Jesse took the prime and i sat in top 15 going into the first singletrack. Patience was my race objective here as riders were popping off left and right. Back onto the road and the lead group was only 5-10 seconds ahead. I knew those guys would turn it up so i settled in with Jeff Melcher, Jerry Long and i think Jeremey was hanging on too for awhile. I let those guys do most of the work as it was hard enough hanging on with the 2:1. Then we hit the dirt again to do our laps. The course was challenging but fun and everything was totally ridable, even on a single. I caught a few riders and a few caught me. I dropped a bottle in the bumpy field on the first lap and retrieved it on the second. 3 hard laps then back onto the road. I worked with a comp rider until we turned the corner and got a tailwind into the last singletrack. The crazy Winter park stuff, up down and around the ravine. Had to run a couple hills here. Held a gap over Melcher the entire race but never got out of sight. After the last ST he caught my wheel and when we turned onto the road down the hill he attacked hard and pulled away. I got about 4 revolutions in and i was spun out. Tucked in for a nice 10th place finish. Jeremey big-wheeled it in less than a minute behind in 11th. Dude was ready to write this race off as a 5 pointer! Definitely a fun race and a great singlespeed course.

Tenacious Girl:
Antonia was primed to do well here. She sat in on the the start then attacked at the top of the hill to take the $20 prime. Half a lap into her race with a couple minute lead already, something jammed her derailleur into her rear wheel ripping it off and damaging the wheel. Refusing to DNF, she ditched the wheel and ran the last lap and a half and the return road with her bike to the finish(10 miles?) Finishing last overall still earned her a third place medal in age group. Now that's determination.

3 comments:

mountaingoat said...

That was a great SS course! Except for that road. I bridged up to you guys after the turn but was so smashed from the effort I couldn't hang on.

Jay said...

Way to rock it Ron. Toni sure has the mind to finish the race and that was awesome. Did she get the wheel later? Have a good weekend.

RonSta said...

I'm such a wheelsucker. Yeah, she went up after the race got her wheel, needs to be rebuilt though.