Monday, July 30, 2007

24/9!

Saturday morning is always hectic. Arrive, get ready, pick up chips, riders meeting, no warmup, pick a good spot in staging and hang out with everyone until the start. At 10am we're off. The run goes well. I'm one of the first to the corral as T hands my bike off to me and I file in with the lead group. Marko's up front setting a nice tempo so I move up behind him knowing if he can pull me for a few miles I'll be in good position. Eventually he pulls away, shortly after Nat Ross attacks and pulls away as well. I settle in with Dallas Fowler, Chris Eatough and a Stinger(?) rider. First lap, I'm 4th rider in and hand off to Jerry. Jerry rides awesome and we both begin putting time into 2nd place. My 2nd, 3rd and 4th laps felt OK, then miserable(cramping), then super! Somehow all the times were still within 20seconds!? I figured my diet out, alternating between ramen and oatmeal along with grapes, bananas, OJ, Amp, Pringles, water and a variety of Little Debbie snack products. Night laps we continued strong and somewhere along the way we eventually put a lap on 2nd. We dialed down to a conservative pace as I got to ride the sunrise lap. After riding strong all day and night, Jerry is a little leery about his last lap. Upon finishing mine, I hand off to him, pull my chip and shadow him for half a lap for support. After we get over Twinkie hill he's feelin' good and waves me off. He rolls in just before 10 where we wait for the race to officially end.

Thanks a ton to Jerry for riding awesome and doing this again this year, Barb for everything- time management, cooking, organization, hydration- we couldn't have done this without her! Tbone, keeping our rides dialed, assisting Barb and driving home. Eric Petersen for a great spaghetti dinner Friday night. Everyone who stopped by/hung out for support, Jeremey, John, Rachael, Kim(Great job Chris!), and Hayes Bicycle Group for all their great products.

8 comments:

spicyride said...

Congrats!!! you guys were awesome!

bubba said...

That was big time S#%T...BRAVO!!!

Jim G said...

Yes, congratulations on being named Loser of the Week at the Tool Shed! Bubba is right, that is big time.

Oh yeah, congrats to you and Jerry on the Nat. Championship. That was pretty cool, too.

ksjc said...

loved the team name and way to be part of the home state ass kicking

minigaot said...

Awesome job you guys!

mountaingoat said...

Stud.

Christine said...

Twinkies? I'll have to try that now. Congrats on a awesome finish!

EXPO Racing said...

Fast!

Wisconsin is on the map!