Tuesday, July 01, 2008

WISSSC08

photo:madcross

Headed up to Levis Trow Saturday AM with Jerry, Russell & Bubba for the State SS Championships. Probably the most epic place the race has been to yet! At the start, Aris and I were first on to our bikes as I told him to stick to my wheel as I led things out. Shortly after we get rolling, Jesse comes around to turn up the pace, followed by Marko and then TJ, the wildcard, rolling a loaner 69er. I dangled as we entered the singletrack before letting the leaders ride away and finding my own pace. Going up a steep climb on the first of 3 mounds, I throw my chain and lose a position before getting it back on. Chasing 4th around the backside of the mound on a rooty decent, I see the guy go down hard with the sound of a shotgun blast. The fork legs are separated from the steerer with his forehead and face taking a brunt of the impact. The dudes messed up so I stopped for a minute to make sure he's alright(?). Meanwhile Devin & James roll up on us and the dude tells me to keep going. A little ways up is a volunteer station where tell them there's a rider down. I eventually ride away on my own again. Paranoid about losing the chain, I take all the climbs seated with a ginger cadence while soaking in the awesome views and great singletrack. Jesse was on a tear for the win while Marko kept it metal in 2nd, TJ got the hang of not shifting for 3rd, and I rode slow enough to hang onto 4th. Thanks to the Chainsmokers for hosting the event, Jerry for the ride and Russell and Bubba for the entertainment along the way.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hey, sorry if I seemed like a complete idoit after your race. On to Wausau!

bmxmtbfam said...

what kind of fork was it?????