Monday, June 15, 2009

12 HOURS OF MUIR

Woke up to rain early Saturday as I headed down to the southern Kettles for a long day of riding. Register, set up, get ready, still raining. Don't really recognize anyone at the start so i'm not sure what I'm in for. 8Am we're off. 3rd wheel into the singletrack, downhill switchbacks claim the front 2 and I've got a gap. Keep it chill as i loosen up on the slick course. Brake pads were cashed after 2 laps. Had to pee 3 times in the first 4 laps. Rode unchallenged but being a one man band i kept the stops minimal. The epic 11 mile course Kenny had set up went from slick to peanut butter to eventually dry & fast later in the day. Lap times around an hour made it easy to count down. After noon the sun broke. Good to see Tbone, Pirate and many others out for the later races and support. 7.5 hours in I stopped for a sandwich and checked results- 25min lead. Cruise control. 11th lap was on the bonk. Cookies and Mountain Dew would get me one more. The AM muck drained the legs and made the 36:19 a chore on the hills, but the packed course and setting sun made it the sweetest lap of the day. Thanks to Kenny for an awesome event, Dave and the Worba volunteers for coming out and making sure everyone stayed safe, Zach and Ty for helping me tear down after and everyone who cheered me on out there. It was a great day!

No comments: