Tuesday, July 28, 2009

DREAMBUILT


Don't know where to start. Thanks to my parents for coming up and camping all weekend- my dad for tirelessly running my pit and my mom for all the hot meals that kept me going. Rick Walls (who I borrowed from Jess Kruchoski) for all his top-notch mechanical support. Gus for all his advice and inspiration to keep pressin on. UBI for the experience to build something I could ride day and night to victory and Ellis Cycles for the smooth fork to round things out.

We couldn't have planned a better race. Started off well and hooked up with fellow WORS racer Ben Koenig (2nd in Pro Men!) for half a lap to get into a good position. Plug away for awhile with no other SS's in sight. About 6 hrs in I'm told I have about a 15min lead. I wasn't feeling great- maybe it was the easy 34:19- but I could keep the tempo up if I had to. Paddy was doing a good job keeping me at bay and staying within 20min. Night laps began to take their toll, then somehow, in the darkest hours of the night my legs finally woke up and the gear finally felt right, propelling me into the sunrise and building my lead. After that steady 4 lap assault into the daylight, I figured out I had 3 laps to go to finish, which seemed to instantly deflate my legs and make every rock and root I hit kill my hands and wrists. Longest 3 laps I ever rode. Turning the pedals was my only defense and shortly after 11am Sunday it proved to be enough. Thanks to everyone who cheered me on during the race. And great race Patrick for never letting up. See ya'll next year!


10 comments:

Ben said...

Way to go! Amazing job!

bubba said...

Bravo man.....Bravo.

mtbVegan said...

great job!

Rick said...

You definitely earned the win. It was a pleasure to help you do it.

Endurosnob said...

Nice ride man. You were flying.

EXPO Racing said...

It is impossible to avoid, but the "lap count down" causes the mind to go backwards. When I read it here, ooooh did it bring back memories...

It was awesome hearing the bell and seeing you fly. Dude! YOU and YOUR frame won SS 24-9!!!! Who else can say that!?!?!

Way to put it together. Your dad was awesome too! Red Bud all the time to check in and always positive.

Mad Trix said...

Nice work Ron. I wish I could have stayed on our wheel a little longer on lap 14. Flower trail took its toll on me and I let it get the best of me. Way to stay on it!

PaddyH said...

Grat peice of riding and a gorgeous bike, nice to have (briefly) met ya b/f the race...I was happy to get done what I did with what I had, see ya around those parts next year

BobC said...

Great job Ron!

Dave Wages said...

Congrats Ron, thanks for the "fork love"!